Saturday 6 February 2016

Top 10 films of 2015

Finally it's here, my overdue top 10 film list of 2015. I've only done this now, because there was a bunch of 2015 releases out in the cinema in January that I wanted to see before making the list. (although there are still a quite a few others I want to see). Now 2015 was a pretty solid year for films, though there hasn't really been that many standout releases compared to 2014 but it has still been more solid overall.
This years list has been one that I've actually found difficult to sort and it's the first year in a while where I haven't had a definitive film of the year, so the order of these films may not be definitive, but they are still my current ten favourites of 2015.

Honourable Mentions
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
The Hateful Eight (in 70mm)
Kung Fury
Sicario


10. SPL II: A Time For Consequences
 A sequel in name only, I absolutely loved this, A chaotic Martial film, filled with great action and melodrama and Tony Jaa!





9. Ex Machina
 This was technically the first actual 2015 film I watched, released all the way back in January last year. So it has slipped my mind at times, but this is a great piece of Sci-fi lead by strong performances and thought provoking subject matter.


 8. Mad Max: Fury Road
One of the best action films of last year, an absolute joy to watch with great visuals and effects.


7. Spotlight
 A great drama that is engaging and full of depth, with a solid cast and good script.


6. Room
 An emotional journey lead by great leading performances A compelling drama full of heart.



5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
A thrilling cinematic experience that filled me with lots of joy. A return to form for the Star Wars franchise, a stunning space epic that is wonderful and great.


4. The Big Short
 Great comedy-drama with a great ensemble cast, successfully making something fun out of the 07/08 financial crisis without sacrificing the depth of its subject matter.


3. Inside Out (2015)
 The best mainstream animated film of 2015. A unique film ripe with emotion. Pixar hit it out the park again with another fantastic edition to their filmography.



2. The Revenant

Last year Inarritu's Birdman ended up topping my end of year list, and though I didn't enjoy The Revenant as much, this film is still an incredible piece of work. A beautiful, harsh and absorbing epic.



1. The Lobster
This is the most unique and surprising film I saw in 2015. I watched it in the cinema without hardly knowing anything about it and I ended up loving it. A strange comedy that is thoroughly entertaining with moments of unusual brilliance and a solid ensemble of actors. It certainly has it's flaws but it's weird and utterly wonderful.





So thats my list, now onto 2016 which has a lot to look forward to (especially if you like superhero films). Lets hope for a year of more great movies.


Sidenote: Here is short list of the 5 worst movies I saw last year in case you're curious (this order is most certainly definitive):
5. Get Hard
4. Fantastic Four
3. Project Almanac
2. Monsters: Dark Continent
1. The Ridiculous Six









 

No comments:

Post a Comment