Sunday 1 January 2017

Top 10 films of 2016



So last year I waited til I'd seen a few Oscar contenders in January before doing a top 10, it was mainly to make a more definitive list, as I did struggle making it. But this year I've seen enough great stuff already that I can happily make a good list now rather than wait around. So 2016 was a significantly better film year than 2015 with alot more films resonating with me and despite alot of the blockbusters under-delivering there's been a lot of solid films out overall. So here are my favorite films of year which aside from the top 4 are not necessarily in a definitive order.

Honourable Mentions
Hail Caesar!
The Nice Guys
Zootopia
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Captain America: Civil War


10. Sausage Party

Nope, this is no joke, I had a hell of a fun time watching this and the film is way better than it should be. Not only is it really funny, but beneath it's gross out exterior lay a heart and some depth that help make it a  great adult animated comedy. Its ridiculous content maybe be too much for some, but I super enjoyed it.

9. The Shallows
 Probably the best shark movie since Jaws, featuring a strong leading performance from Blake Lively and the best supporting performance of 2016 by a seagull. This is another film that worked alot better than it should have and I had a blast watching it. A shark/survival film done exceedingly well.


8. Hell or Highwater
Following the recurring theme of films exceeding expectations(though on a smaller scale), Hell or High Water was a film that I already knew was supposed to be great before seeing it, but I didn't think I'd be that big on it, as it seemed like the kind of film that doesn't have much appeal to me, but I know I'd still appreciate. However my presumptions were wrong and I ended up really liking it alot.  From it's superb opening shot, it just keeps you hooked from start to finish and It's just a great movie with great characters (even the side characters are really interesting), that's really well shot, acted and written. 


7. Swiss Army Man
 Now here's a film I knew pretty much nothing about before watching, except that was supposed to be good and that Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe were in it. I certainly didn't expect to see one of the most unique films to come out this year, so it was a very pleasant surprise. It's a weird and wonderful comedy with great performance from it's two stars and with moments that are funny, disturbing and gross all at once. I can't help but love it's bizarre nature and it's got a good heart too, a great film all in all.


6. The Witch
 The best horror film of the year, one devoid of jump scares, but full of pure tension and includes brilliant ending. It's a simple but very effective movie with strong performances, great atmosphere, great cinematography and a unique setting that sets it apart from all modern horror. A great horror that had a lasting impression on me.


5. The Hunt For The Wilderpeople
Taika Waititi's latest film is an absolute joy to watch. It's a lovely and incredibly likable film full of heart and good humour. Waititi's nails it yet again providing probably the most pleasurable watch on this list. It's simply wonderful and I can't wait to see how Waititi handles Thor: Ragnorok.
4. Kubo and the Two Strings
Laika's best film so far featuring some of the most beautiful stop motion I've ever seen. Kubo is an incredible film with a story thats ripe with emotion, excitement and a heartfelt message. Combined with some top notch vocie acting and stunning visuals,. Kubo is simply fantastic.


3. Arrival
Arrival is an incredible piece of Sci-fi that is thought provoking and intelligent. It's so utterly engrossing and intriguing and features quite a few surprises. The performances are strong, the sound is superb, It's also emotional, leaves a lasting a effect and has themes that are very relevant for today. Denis Villeneuve really shows his talent as a director, as this could have easily been really boring in the wrong hands, but he manages to make it work incredibly well. Simply fantastic.


2. Neon Demon
Love him or hate him, Nicolas Winding Refn is one of the most interesting directors working today and one that's not afraid to take risks. The Neon demon is one of his best films to date(perhaps even his best), a sinister look into the modelling industry that is both fascinating and horrifying. A brilliant piece of work with a stellar central performance from Elle fanning. Incredible to look at, surreal at times and totally engrossing, I loved it.
 



 1. Your Name
 For a good number of months I was certain that The Neon Demon was gonna be my film of the year, then Your Name came along and completely changed that. My 3rd animated film on this list (and 3rd animated style), Your Name is nothing short of brilliant, a beautiful anime that contains super likable characters and is full of great drama, humour and emotion. It's constantly intriguing and utterly enthralling and I just love it. My favourite film of 2016.



So that's my list for the 2016 and I'm very much looking forward to what 2017 brings and there's a lot of intriguing films that are gonna come out. Hopefully I'll be getting more reviews done throughout 2017, so until then. Good Bile.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment