Wednesday 28 May 2014

Shield Of Straw (2013)

Here's a super solid thriller directed by the great Takashi Miike, a film that's almost on the cusp of greatness but doesn't quite reach it. It has a very engaging story and a number of twists and turns, which may be a bit much for some people, but I was really into it and thought it all worked. The film also has a good cast and I think both Tatsuya Fujiwara and Takao Osawa are great in their roles.
This actually reminded me of another Miike film called Sun Scarred but only in the way it kind of questions certain moral points and I'm sure many will be frustrated with the main character Mekari who I found to be quite fascinating with his actions and way of thinking. All in all, this is an exceedingly solid thriller that is thoroughly engaging with a smidgen of depth.
***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment