Friday 16 May 2014

Godzilla (2014)

I had hopes that Gareth Edwards would pull this off and while it didn't overwhelm me, I can safely say that Edwards has a successfully made a good Godzilla movie, one that contains the same spirit of the Toho films. Now while I'll admit that the film's plot contains a number of cliches and conventions and there's nothing that unique about it, what really brings the rating for this movie up is its execution.
I saw this in IMAX 3D, and while the 3D is practically non-existent (but that doesn't matter, less distractions if anything)  it is visually incredible, with some superb cinematography, makingitone of the best shot Kaiju movies I've seen. It also has a fantastic use of sound, making this film a perfect viewing in the cinema.
I thought the performances were also pretty good, particularly, Bryan Cranston's who is great as usual.
If giant monster movies aren't your thing, you may not find much to enjoy here but I think everyone else should definitely check it out, it is exceedingly entertaining, wonderful to look at and ultimately a really well done Godzilla movie.
****

No comments:

Post a Comment