Saturday 20 October 2018

Halloween (1978) Review

I admit I don't have the same amount of love and attachment to this film as most people, in fact I saw the Rob Zombie remake long before watching this. But I still do have a strong appreciation for it and can see why it is so highly influential and regarded as a classic.

For one, the score is fantastic and has become iconic in itself, the haunting piano arrangement is instantly recognisable and just hearing it is enough to put most people on edge.

 The story is very simple but effective and for the most part maintains a terrific atmosphere and provides a great deal of suspense, with Michael Myers threatening presence being felt throughout the movie and effectively utilising a few popular Giallo elements like the killer POV.

However there are certainly some things that feel a bit dated and a little laughable at times, also the film's lack of gore compared to later slasher films may also make it seem a little tame for a modern audience. My brother for instance, who is a huge Slasher fan actually finds the film a little boring since the suspense doesn't really work on him and there's not enough that really goes on around that. So I can understand people not being that big on it since the suspense is arguably the film's biggest factor for engagement.

Personally, I do find this to be a great suspenseful horror whose achievements and influence outshine its flaws, but it's not something I would re-watch much. ****



No comments:

Post a Comment