Wednesday 2 March 2016

Kaiju Fever: L'Inferno (1911)

I've been in a giant monster mood lately, so I've decided to for now focus on watching a bunch of movies that feature Kaiju in them. My main focus will be on Japanese films but I will also be look at other movies featuring Kaiju by going through the list featured on the Kaijumatic website.
So I'm gonna start this with the first film on that list, the 1911 Italian silent film L'inferno. The first full length Italian feature film that is loosely adapted from Dante's Divine Comedy. Now of course this isn't exactly a giant monster movie but it does feature a few big hell demons like the one in the above image which is pretty cool. The film itself is quite a fascinating watch, every shot takes us to a different set as Dante makes his way through hell, with some really interesting special effects used throughout. The version I watched had no accompanying music and didn't know Tangerine Dream wrote a score for it till afterwards, so I first started playing the Dante's Inferno video game soundtrack with it, which of course didn't work at all, then I quickly changed it to a version of 'The Dante Symphony' which suited it better.
So while not worthwhile for it's giant monsters, this 105 year old film is still definitely worth checking out for the fascinating way it uses filmmaking techniques of it's time to portray Dante's Inferno.
***1/2


No comments:

Post a Comment