Sunday 3 January 2016

Top 10 Albums of 2015

I did my top 10 albums last year so thought, I'd post my favourite ones from this year too, as usual alot of metal here. Also the actual order of the top ten isn't definitive except for the top 2 and I'll include links to a song from each album.

Honourable Mentions
Finsterforst - Mach Dich Frei
Ensiferum - One Man Army
Enforcer - From Beyond
Symphony X - Underworld




10. Blind Guardian - Beyond The Red Mirror
 Blind Guardian release their first album in 5 years, delivering a great dose of their bombastic symphonic power metal


9. Iron Maiden - Book Of Souls
 Maiden's best album in years, 2 CD's of really solid songs (aside the bland speed of light) and ending with fantastic 18 minute epic 'Empire of the Clouds'.




8. Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Prometheus-Symphonia Ignis Divinus
 Luca Turilli deliver another explosive does of his 'Cinematic Metal' another great album that's better than the last.


7. Paradise Lost - The Plague Within
Returning to some of the earlier death/doom roots and adding them to their current sound, Paradise Lost deliver another Super solid album.


6. Slayer - Repentless
I was reluctant about how this would turn out, but as usual with Slayer I enjoyed the hell put this album. Just more of their straight up thrash metal that they always deliver, with a sound somewhat reminiscent of God Hates Us All.


5. Stratovarius - Eternal
Finnish power metalers show that they are stronger than ever with one of their best albums to date, filled with great straight up power metal songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qoGx8x4ltw


4. Leprous - The Congregation
Leprous deliver another great album with their own developed brand of prog metal that still manages to work with great success.
 
 
3. Cains Offering - Stormcrow
Another band featuring Timo Kotipelto and Jens Johannson makes this list but this time with the added touch of Jani Liimatainen delivering a a great power metal album that has remnants of Stratovarius and Old Sonata Arctica blended in.


2. Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase
It's only the last few years that I've managed to get into any of Steven Wilson's work and though I still haven't listened to much, I absolutely loved this album, a diverse prog album with many different elements mixed in. It's easy to see why critics have been really praising this, as it really is a brilliant work.


1. Galneryus - Under The Force Of Courage
 Honestly I could have easily given the top spot Steven Wilson, but Galneryus are one of my top favourite bands and once again they delivered another fantastic album filled with their bombastic power metal that I always love to hear, packed with the usual stellar guitar work and musical highlights. I can't help but love this band.



So that's what my top albums were this year, hoping 2016 brings us more great music. 
My top 10 films will more than likely be done end of this month as I have some films to catch up on before I do the list.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment