Thursday 8 January 2015

Top 10 Films of 2014

I felt 2014 was quite a good year for movies, there was alot of films that really managed to deliver the goods especially ones I was particularly hyped for. Of course there were a few disappointments and pieces of crap but generally I was quite happy with what I watched overall. So here are my favourite ones that I got to see, which may not all be in definitive order but work in the positions that they have for now.

Honourable Mentions
Calvary
The Double
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
the Imitation Game
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Lego Movie

10. How To Train Your Dragon 2
 I felt like I wanted try and at least have one great animated film in my list and as fun as the Lego movie was, How To Train Your Dragon 2 just felt like the right choice. A big step-up from the already solid previous film, How Train Your Dragon 2 shows how to take a sequel to the next level in terms of ambition and greatness, leaving us with a one of the most beautiful animated CGI films I've ever seen. Combine that beauty with a solid story that has a strong emotional core and some general epicness and  you've got yourself one of the best Dreamworks animated films that is arguably on par with some of Pixars finest.


9. Gone Girl
I may not be as much of a fan of Fight Club and Zodiac as some people, but I am definitely a big fan of Gone Girl. A smart thriller that is constantly engaging with a few twists and turns that even threw me off guard. Of course the films success is helped greatly by two very strong lead performances, particularly Rosamund Pike who seems to nail her 'cold hearted bitch' character perfectly.
 It's just an incredibly well made film that kept me hooked all the way through. A true 'thriller indeed.
 


8. Nightcrawler
Dan Gilroy's great directorial debut, powered by Jake Gyllenhaal's fantastic and mesmerizing performance. Nightcrawler is a great thriller that is actually quite subtle in approach but always utterly intriguing, containing moments of pure eerieness and providing an interesting look into certain aspects of the news business. Lou Bloom is definitely one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a while making this a damn fine movie.


7. Interstellar
Now here's a film that divided many people and of course I stand on the more positive side of things. Interstellar is only a dissappointment because wasn't the masterpiece it should have been. However that doesn't mean that the film still isn't a great movie because it is, I just can't help but admire Nolan's ambitions and think he still manages to pull a thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi epic, that is both emotional and beautiful.



6. Boyhood
A film that has topped many peoples 2014 lists and deservedly so. The film is a marvelous achievement and probably the truest definition of a coming of age film. Linklater took a risk and pulled it off with creating a great film full of relatable moments that is just a joy to watch.


5. What We Do In The Shadows
The funniest film I saw in 2014, hat is hilarious from start to finish. An 80 minutes vampire mockumentary that has the comical magic that many comedies lack these days. It's not gonna change the world but it'll definitely cheer it up.


4. X-Men: Day Of Future Past
Not just my favourite comic book movie of 2014, but one of my favourite comic book movies ever. A brilliant film full of great acting, action and moments of pure awesomeness. Days Of Future Past was pretty much everything I wanted and more, and I just can't wait for Apocalypse.




3. The Raid 2: Berundal
Days Of Future Past may have been the best comic book movie of the year, but this film was by far the best action film of the year. Delivering some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen and a story that may not have been hugely unique but was still executed brilliantly. Raid 2 took the correct steps in following up the more confined first film delivering a thoroughly engaging action epic.



2. Under The Skin
A unique and absolutely fascinating film, Under the Skin is quite an experience. Minimal in dialogue and narrative but utterly compelling throughout, I couldn't help but love it. It's truly remarkable and well worth checking out at least once, even if you end up not liking it.


1. Birdman
 
I actually only saw this movie last week but instantly fell in love with it and straight away knew it was my favourite film of 2014. For starters any film that attempts the one take illusion, is instantly in my good books. Combine that with a thoroughly engaging narrative that has great performances, a good amount of humour and lots of other great elements, and you've got yourselves a winner. It's a film that just seemed to get better and better as it went on and connected with me on a level that not many films do, which is why it's my favourite film of 2014.

So that my list I'm sure there are those that will disagree with it, but the beauty of films is the differing connections they can have with people.
I'm hoping to write up more reviews this year for 2015 and can't wait to see some more great new movies.

See you Space Cowboy






 



No comments:

Post a Comment